Saturday, January 13, 2018

Confidence, Fair Writer!

I have three stories published. One novella. I have a blog that gets a mediocre fan base. Nothing too wild. And I have folders on my computer filled with unpublished stories and half-finished ideas.

Is this what I am as a writer?

I will tell you, with utter confidence, it is not. The whole of me as a writer is not my publishing credits. I am not a folder stuffed with stories that haven't seen the light of day. I am not the person that checks Amazon obsessively to figure out if I sold one more book. I can't honestly tell you the last time I checked.

What I am is a writer with his own unique voice.

Do I write perfectly every time? No. I make mistakes. Some of my ideas don't pan out the way I want them to. That's okay, it doesn't mean I'm a failure. I don't regret those stories or feel they are a waste of time. I think of each of those missteps as a building block that lifts my future stories up. With each mistake, I grow as a writer. So I hope I make more mistakes so that I can grow to be a giant. And you know what?

I wish the same for you!

If you are beating yourself up over every little failure, stop. It does nothing but hold you back. Don't define yourself by your failures. Define yourself by your growth. Dare to fail. Try a different genre. Incorporate a literary device you've never tried before. Don't worry if you fail. Just know that even in failure, you've gained something from the experience and move on. Learn. Be better next time. A mountain doesn't climb itself.
Some wisdom before I sign off. Don't compare yourself to other writers. They're on a different path than you. Their successes take nothing away from you or diminish you in any way. Treat your successes as the pinnacle of achievements and let no one take that away from you. Because to you, your achievements are. Treat your stories like your children. When you do, apply this adage: It takes a village to raise a child. Every story needs other sets of eyes to teach it manners and refine it into the story that it can be. Alpha readers, beta readers, editors. Don't be afraid to share your story with the community.
Know that I support you. I celebrate every success with you, from you writing the first draft of your first two thousand word story to you signing a multi-book publishing contract with a major publishing house. Just like I hope you do for me. If you ever have a question, just ask, if I know it, I'll give you an answer. If not, I am almost certain I know someone who does. You can get a hold of me at G Dean Manuel. Happy writing!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love every part of this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wisdom - especially "Don't compare yourself to other writers. They're on a different path than you."

    ReplyDelete

Confidence, Fair Writer!

I have three stories published. One novella. I have a blog that gets a mediocre fan base. Nothing too wild. And I have folders on my comput...